Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Potter people & Abraham Lincoln

My friend, Mark Potter, grand-nephew of Milo Dock Potter (his grandfather is Wila Oscar Potter, Milo's brother) shared this and lots of other information with me. Thanks, Mark! Mark found the following here. This is also a nice little snippet about Mr. Lincoln's life, and involves Ms. Green as well.

At key moments in Mr. Lincoln's life, his friends rallied around him. Mr. Lincoln understood how to accept as well as give friendship. New Salem friends bailed him out when his horse, saddle and surveying tools were seized. When girlfriend Ann Rutledge died, Mr. Lincoln went into a deep depression. "He was seen walking alone by the river and through the woods, muttering strange things to himself," wrote biographer Ida Tarbell. "He seemed to his friends to be in the shadow of madness. They kept a close watch over him; and at last Bowling Green, one of the most devoted friends Lincoln then had, took him home to his little log cabin, half a mile north of New Salem, under the brow of a big bluff. Here, under the loving care of Green, and his good wife Nancy, Lincoln remained until he was once more master of himself."
Note: Nancy (Potter) Green was Andrew Jackson Potter's aunt.) Andrew Jackson Potter is Milo Dock Potter's father.

4 comments:

elliott said...

Wow. I had no idea!

Barbara said...

Mark told me about this and I am glad you put it on your blog.
Love you and keep up the great work
Love and Hugs
Grammy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Leslie. When I was about ten years old my grandfather Wila O. Potter told me that I had some of Abraham Lincoln's blood in me. He then repeated the bloodlines which of course I forgot. Years later that story is what got me interested in geneology research. I have not been able to verify any bloodlines to Lincoln but certainly he was well known to the Potters and Greens of New Salem and Petersburg, IL. Most certainly Lincoln was a frequent visitor to the Green's house for dinner and law related conversations. Bowling and Nancy Green were like second parents to Lincoln. Also present at the Green's dinner table was a very young boy named Bowling Green Jr. As fate would have it Cpl. Bowling Green Jr. will die of wounds suffered at Kingston, GA. during the Civil War in 1864. I have discovered many other interesting items concerning Lincoln and the Potters which I will forward to you for posting. Thanks again Leslie.

Anonymous said...

I have just re-read some of my hand written notes and I have Bowling Green Jr. being wounded at the Battle of Peachtree Creek in Fulton County GA. on July 20, 1864 and later dying at a hospital in Kingston,GA. on August 16, 1864. This seems to make sense as Kingston was a main hospital and supply city for the Union Army at this juncture of the Civil War. According to records 1710 Union soldiers and 4796 Confederate soldiers died in that one day battle. I find these numbers mind boggling to say the least. I'm guessing that Bowling Green Jr. died a slow death probably from infection. I can only imagine how he suffered and also how his mother Nancy must have suffered after hearing of his death. My gut feeling is that Abraham Lincoln was aware of the death of Bowling Green Jr. and possibly he sent a letter of sympathy to his good friend Nancy Green. I think more research is in order. Bowling Green Jr. is buried in Marietta National Cemetery in Marietta,GA. just outside of Atlanta. Bowling Green Jr. was a corporal in Co.E 85th Inf. of the IL. volunteer Army.
p.s. Leslie, I will send you some more links concerning Bowling Green Jr.